I was talking to a lady today and after answering her questions about RAD, she said "but you don't look sick!" I didn't have anything to say to that because if you didn't know me or know that I have RAD, just looking at me will give no clues. To most, I look healthy. I don't have the joint deformities or nodules that can come along with this disease. I'm lucky that all I have is a bit of a limp resulting from painful, swollen toes and feet. Other than that, I don't look sick.
I wish that woman could look inside me though. I wish I could too. I can feel what it is doing to my body and sometimes it really scares me. I have the swollen joints and pains that remind me daily that I have this disease but I often wonder if it is attacking organs that have yet to show signs. When researching this disease, I had no clue about how RAD can affect organs.
Rheumatoid arthritis can affect nearly every part of the body. Complications may include:
- Damage to the lung tissue (rheumatoid lung)
- Increased risk of hardening of the arteries
- Spinal injury when the neck bones become damaged
- Inflammation of the blood vessels (rheumatoid vasculitis), which can lead to skin, nerve, heart, and brain problems
- Swelling and inflammation of the outer lining of the heart and of the heart muscle, which can lead to congestive heart failure.
There is no cure for RAD. The medications used to treat it are to slow disease progression. There is hope for remission but only through continued use of medication.
It's hard facing the fact that I need medications in order to slow this disease. With that comes side effects that can leave me sick and still hurting. My biggest fear right now is that the medication side effects plus the flares of RAD will prevent me from working. There are mornings I feel so sore from RAD, it's all I can do to get up and get going. I can't imagine doing it with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea that come with the medications...not to mention the overwhelming fatigue that strikes during the work day. I'm thankful to come home and nap!
So no, I don't look sick. I'm thankful for that and I pray that I don't ever look sick. I pray that the medications don't make my hair fall out or give me sores on my skin. I pray that the medications help slow this disease and put it into remission. I pray that someday there is a cure.
I love you Jodie. Although I pray for you from time to time during the week, I have set Thursday's aside in my prayer journal to pray specifically for you and your RA. Thank you for posting this. It will help me pray more specifically for you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Jodie and know what you are saying. I have a dear friend who has so very many things wrong with her but as you say; people say to her, but you don't look sick. With God's help, she continues to smile, be in church in terrible pain,and makes sure of her hair looking good. But...she is so sick; like you. I will pray that folks who see you and know about your RAD will just keep praying for you. In fact; we just did this morning!!.
ReplyDelete